Introducing 3 New Remote Cameras and 1 Remote Control Panel for Remote Video Production over IP
SINGAPORE, 18 March 2021 — Canon has developed a new remote camera system for video production that allows for remote production using IP1, with three new camera models and one new remote control panel to be released sequentially from the end of April 2021. Starting with these three models, Canon will expand its product lineup and expand the range of video expression through remote production to meet various video production needs.
In recent years, the need for remote production using IP has been increasing for the video production market. In this context, Canon will launch a new remote camera system for video production that enables the pursuit of high image quality and efficient shooting workflows by combining its imaging and network technologies which have been cultivated over many years. This remote camera system comprises a series of products that support the newly developed IP XC Protocol2 that controls Canon's video production devices, which allows for efficient shooting in a wide range of scenes by linking compatible products over a network.
Moving forward, Canon will expand its product lineup and develop further in the area of video expression by providing firmware3 that support this remote camera system to the CINEMA EOS SYSTEM cameras.
Heightened Efficiency and Reduction of Human Resource at Video Production Sites
CR-N500/CR-N300 are 4K PTZ (pan, tilt and zoom support) remote cameras that offer high image quality, image shading and IP compatibility equivalent to professional camcorders. In addition to SDI and HDMI, it also supports NDI|HX4 which is popular in the video production field. As such, it is possible to construct a flexible system. Also, bundled with Remote Camera Control application, it is possible to control multiple cameras5 on the IP network from a computer, thus reducing the number of staff for shooting and operating, which allows for smaller production teams.
Remote Control of 4K PTZ Remote Cameras
The remote camera controller RC-IP100 supports both IP and serial communication. It remotely controls CR-X500 via serial communication and uses XC protocol for both CR-N500 and CR-N300. It can configure a system with up to 100 cameras6. Since it can control the cameras installed indoors and outdoors despite being far from the shooting location, it is possible to handle a wide range of shooting requirements.
|Product Name||Release Date||Price|
|CR-N500||End April, 2021||Open Price|
|CR-N300||Mid June, 2021||Open Price|
|CR-X500||End July, 2021||Open Price|
|RC-IP100||Mid May, 2021||Open Price|
About Canon Singapore Pte. Ltd.
Canon is a global leader in photographic and digital imaging solutions. Canon Singapore Pte. Ltd. is the headquarters for South & Southeast Asia driving sales, marketing and service strategies. Besides handling the domestic market, the company covers 22 other countries and regions including subsidiaries in India, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. The parent company Canon Inc. has a global network of more than 300 companies and employs close to 200,000 people worldwide. Canon is guided by its kyosei philosophy that focuses on living and working together for the common good.
More information is available at https://asia.canon.
Main Features of CR-N500/CR-N300
1. Equipped with Canon's high-definition 4K video system: CR-N500
- The CR-N500 has the same key features as professional camcorders, including an optical 15x zoom lens, type 1.0 CMOS sensor, and video processing platform DIGIC DV6. In all zoom ranges corresponding to a focal length of about 25.5 mm to 382.5 mm7, it is possible to shoot high-quality 4K UHD (3840 x 2160)/30P8 and full HD/60P9 video.
- Equipped with Dual Pixel CMOS AF with AF operation and high tracking performance suitable for video shooting, it enables quick and natural focusing. Assists in shooting various 4K scenes that require high accuracy per frame.
- Achieves a smooth PTZ that links the zoom with a high-precision pan and tilt drive mechanism with 0.1 degree/second increments. Smooth speed change from low speed to high speed realizes smooth, operability even during remote control.
- Equipped with an image quality adjustment function that is well-accepted in professional camcorders for video production. It is possible to create high-quality videos according to the shooting scene and direction intention.
- Equipped with log gamma Canon Log 3 suitable for simple colour grading such as gradation adjustment.
2. Capable of shooting video at 4K/30P even with a compact body: CR-N300
- The CR-N300 uses an optical 20x zoom lens, type 1/2.3 CMOS sensor, and video processing platform DIGIC DV6. In all zoom ranges corresponding to a focal length of approx. 29.3 mm to 601 mm7, it is possible to shoot high-quality 4K/30P8 video.
- The body measures approx. 154 mm (width) x 164 mm (depth) x 178 mm (height), achieving a compact body.
- Equipped with four scene modes of Portrait, Sports, Low light, Spotlight, it is possible to select a shooting mode suitable for the desired subject to shoot. By selecting the scene mode according to the subject, it is possible to shoot without detailed settings, and realize impressive image expression.
- Realizes a smooth PTZ that links the zoom with a high-precision pan and tilt drive mechanism with 0.2 degree/second increments. Achieves smooth speed change from low speed to high speed.
- Supports the USB communication standard UVC (USB Video Class), and when connected by USB, video can be outputted in full HD/12P image quality. It can be used for a wide range of applications such as web camera for online meetings by connecting the computer and the main body with USB cable.
CR-N500: Approx. 200 mm (width) x 208 mm (depth) x 269 mm (height)
CR-N300: Approx. 154 mm (width) x 164 mm (depth) x 178 mm (height)
3. IP remote control with various video output formats via wired/wireless communication.
- The camera supports IP streaming (4K/30P), 3G-SDI (Full HD/60P), and HDMI (4K/30P). Connects to networked systems.
- Supports NDI|HX connection as standard and can be connected to NDI-compatible devices on the network such as switchers and media servers. Supports efficient live video production by IP.
- Supported by Remote Camera Controller RC-IP100 (sold separately) and free computer software Remote Camera Control Application.
- Equipped with trace function to record PTZ movement of camera. The PTZ movement recorded on the camera can be recalled reproducing the PTZ of the camera with a single button operation. The camera work recorded in advance can be reproduced10, contributing to the realization of one-person operation.
- With IP remote control, it is possible to construct an IP-based system for setting and controlling cameras from remote locations.
- In addition to LAN cable connection, Wi-Fi connection enables the operation of the camera’s Settings Page from a smartphone or a tablet device. Furthermore, an IR remote controller WL-N01 is included for operations such as calling PTZ and preset positions.
Maximum video output format and features by interface:
|Interface||Maximum Video Output Format||Interface Features|
|A format often used in high-end camcorders. Enables generation of high-quality video while suppressing image quality deterioration during compression despite the high pixel number. Suitable for simple operation because the IP system can be constructed for both video streaming and camera control.|
|A format often used for full HD video recording. Enables high-definition video generation with various colours with little deterioration in image quality during compression. Suitable for images with smooth movement due to a high frame rate.|
|A format often used in professional camcorders. Enables high-definition video generation with various colours with little information deterioration during compression despite the high pixel number. Suitable for processing and editing while maintaining high quality.|
Main features of Remote Camera Control Application for Computer
- The application that can control multiple remote cameras of CR-N500/CR-N300 from a computer.
- Supports multiple cameras operation that allows up to 9 cameras to be operated and video to be displayed simultaneously from a single computer. The capability to control only by a computer without having a remote camera controller makes it possible to respond flexibly according to the shooting scene.
- The user interface realizes ease of use from an operator's perspective suitable for one-person operation.
Main features of RC-IP100
- A remote control panel that can control compatible cameras such as the new products CR-N500/CR-N300/CR-X500.
- Supports IP and serial connection, and can operate each camera’s function such as pan, tilt, zoom, focus, and iris.
- Pan, tilt and zoom operations are possible with the control lever and seesaw type zoom lever.
- Intuitive operation is possible such as switching the camera to shoot with the touch panel.
- When connected via IP, it is possible to control up to 100 XC Protocol compatible products such as the indoor 4K PTZ remote cameras CR-N500/CR-N300 on the IP network, realizing an IP-based system construction.
- When connected via serial, one outdoor 4K PTZ remote camera CR-X500 can be controlled.
Main features of CR-X500
1. Equipped with Canon’s camcorder technology that achieves ultra-high definition 4K image.
- Equipped with Canon Log 3, a log gamma suitable for simple colour grading such as adjusting gradation.
- Adapts the same key features as professional camcorders, such as an optical 15x zoom lens, type 1.0-inch CMOS sensor, and video processing platform DIGIC DV6. The CR-X500 can capture high-quality 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) at 50/60P (when connected via serial) images in the entire zoom range equivalent to a focal length of approx. 25.5 mm to 382.5 mm7.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF, Canon’s renowned autofocus system which is suitable for movie shooting with high tracking performance enabling fast and natural focusing. It assists shooting in various 4K scenes where high accuracy in focusing is required for each frame.
2. Compact and lightweight design with high durability for wide range of outdoor installation environments.
- Achieves dust and water resistant performance conforming to the IP55 protection class for water and dust set by the International Electrotechnical Commission.
- Equivalent to dust-resistant performance 5th level, which prevents dust from entering the inside and does not interfere with normal operation even if there is slight intrusion, and drip-resistant performance 5th level, which does not have a harmful effect even with jet water from all directions. The weather resistant durability supports outdoor installation environments.
- The size of the remote camera body is approx. 337 mm (width) x 386 mm (depth) x 390 mm (height), and the mass is about 17 kg, realizing a compact and lightweight design that can be carried.
- Image stabilization function allows for stable image capture even in strong wind conditions.
3. Supports 4K/60P video output and remote control by serial communication.
- Equipped with a 12G-SDI interface that supports 4K/60P production with a single cable (sold separately)
Remote Camera Controller RC-IP100 (sold separately) can be connected via serial communication. The CR-X500 installed outdoors can be controlled from a remote location, enabling shooting operations with a small number of people.
XC Protocol compatible firmware for CINEMA EOS SYSTEM is under development
- Canon will provide a firmware that supports XC Protocol for CINEMA EOS SYSTEM cameras. Target models will be gradually expanded.
- By supporting the XC Protocol, an interchangeable digital cinema camera can be remotely controlled supporting wide range of applications with rich line up of Canon lenses.
Reference: About XC Protocol
XC Protocol is a newly developed IP that controls Canon video production equipment. This allows users to select the camera according to their system size and shooting style, and to operate it remotely for sports, music, live events, lecture recording, and corporate video production.
Remote Camera Market Trends
With the widespread use of devices such as tablets and smartphones, video content is available to consumers regardless of time or place. Due to this, the demand for video content has expanded rapidly in recent years, prompting the growth of video production and distribution in both live and recorded formats. Due to the impact of COVID-19, remote video production and video streaming are accelerating. For example, video streaming of classes in the education field and video streaming of seminars in the business field are becoming widespread. In the broadcasting field, broadcasting stations and production companies are constructing program production environments using remote cameras. In response to this growing demand for video content, there is a growing need for products and solutions that can reduce costs and human resources in video production sites. (Canon survey)
1 An abbreviation of Internet Protocol. Communication method for exchanging information on Internet.
2 CR-X 500 is not supported.
3 Supported models will increase gradually.
4 A protocol developed by NewTek that supports the workflow of live video production over IP networks. NDI is a trademark or registered trademark of NewTek, Inc. in the United States and other countries.
5 The supported cameras are CR-N 500/CR-N 300. As of March 18, 2021.
6 Only one CR-X500 can be connected via serial communication.
7 35 mm film equivalent.
8 IP streaming, when connected via HDMI.
9 When connected via 3G-SDI.
10 Remote Camera Controller RC-IP100 and Remote Camera Control Application are required for this operation.